Shoulders are the epitome of masculinity for many of us. A pair of broad, well-defined deltoids signify strength, virility, and power. The kind of enormous shoulders that force a bespoke suit jacket out of shape, or that can fill out a tank top like Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. But what kind of shoulders are considered “broad” exactly?
According to bodybuilding experts, a person’s shoulder width should be relative to their natural frame. So, if you have a narrow bone structure, you won’t have so-called “boulder shoulders,” no matter how much you pump iron. However, there are a few key measurements that will give you an idea of whether your delts are above average. If the distance between the acromion bones on both shoulders is more than 18 and a half inches, you have broad shoulders. Most men have a shoulder-to-waist ratio of 1.618, which means the shoulders are 1.618 times broader than the waist. Of course, these are just guidelines, and there are many factors that determine what makes your shoulders broad and impressive.
What Makes Shoulders Appear Broad
Having broad shoulders is a desirable trait for many men and women, giving the appearance of a V-shaped torso and an overall more powerful physique. But what actually makes shoulders appear broad? The answer lies in a combination of factors that can create the illusion of wider shoulders.
- Bone Structure: Broad shoulders are often determined by genetics and bone structure. People with wider clavicles naturally have a broader shoulder look.
- Muscle Mass: Building muscle in the shoulders can increase their width and create the appearance of broader shoulders.
- Posture: By standing tall and keeping your shoulders back, you can enhance the natural width of your shoulders.
However, it’s important to note that broad shoulders aren’t necessarily an indicator of strength or physical fitness. While they may be a desirable trait for some, it’s always important to focus on overall health and wellness rather than just looks.
Ideal Shoulder-to-Waist Ratio for Broad Shoulders
If your shoulders are broad, it’s important to maintain the right shoulder-to-waist ratio for a balanced and symmetrical physique. The ideal shoulder-to-waist ratio for men is around 1.6:1, which means your shoulder measurement should be 1.6 times your waist measurement. For women, the ideal ratio is around 1.2:1, which means your shoulder measurement should be 1.2 times your waist measurement.
- For men, a shoulder measurement that is more than 1.6 times larger than your waist measurement is considered broad. For example, if you have a waist measurement of 32 inches, your shoulders should measure around 51 inches or more.
- For women, a shoulder measurement that is more than 1.2 times larger than your waist measurement is considered broad. For example, if you have a waist measurement of 30 inches, your shoulders should measure around 36 inches or more.
- It’s important to note that these ratios may vary depending on your height, body type, and other factors. It’s always best to consult with a fitness professional to determine the right ratio for your specific needs.
Having broad shoulders can give you a more muscular and defined look, but it’s important to maintain a balanced physique. Aim to work out all muscle groups to avoid overdeveloped or underdeveloped areas. Incorporating exercises that target the shoulders, back, and core can help maintain the right proportions and improve your posture.
|Ideal Ratio for Men
|Ideal Ratio for Women
By keeping these ideal ratios in mind, you can work toward achieving a balanced and proportionate physique that showcases your broad shoulders.
Exercises to Develop Broad Shoulders
If you’re looking to build broad shoulders, you’ll want to focus on exercises that target the deltoid muscles – these are the muscles that sit on top of your shoulder bones and give your shoulders their shape. Here are three exercises you can add to your workout routine to help develop broad shoulders:
- Overhead presses – This exercise targets your shoulders and upper back and is great for building overall upper body strength. You can perform overhead presses with a barbell, dumbbells, or a resistance band. To perform the exercise, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold the weight in front of your shoulders with your elbows bent. Press the weight up overhead, extending your arms fully, then lower the weight back down to your shoulders.
- lateral raises – This exercise targets the middle deltoid muscle and can help build width in your shoulders. You can perform lateral raises with dumbbells or a resistance band. To perform the exercise, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold the weight at your sides with your palms facing in. Raise your arms out to the sides until they’re parallel with the floor, then lower them back down to your sides.
- Face Pulls – This exercise targets the rear deltoid muscle and can help to balance out your shoulder development. To perform the exercise, attach a resistance band to a stable object at chest height. Face the anchor point of the band and grab the handles with your palms facing each other. Pull the band towards your forehead, keeping your elbows high and wide apart, then release the band back to the starting position.
The Importance of Progressive Overload for Building Broad Shoulders
To build broad shoulders, it’s important to increase the weight or resistance you’re using over time. This is known as progressive overload and is crucial for building muscle mass. By gradually increasing the amount of weight or resistance you’re using, you’re forcing your muscles to adapt and grow stronger.
A good rule of thumb for progressive overload is to aim to increase the weight or resistance you’re using by 5% each week. This might not sound like a lot, but over time it can lead to significant gains in strength and muscle size.
Sample Shoulder Workout
Here’s an example shoulder workout you can use to develop broad shoulders:
|Barbell Overhead Press
|Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Remember to focus on progressive overload by gradually increasing the weight or resistance you’re using over time. And don’t forget to fuel your body with nutritious foods and get enough rest to support muscle growth!
Fashion Tips for Broad Shouldered People
If you have broad shoulders, you might have a difficult time finding clothing that fits and flatters your body type. However, there are several fashion tips that can help you look stylish and confident.
- Wear V-neck tops – V-neck tops help elongate the neck and draw attention away from the shoulders. This creates a more balanced overall look.
- Choose shoulder pads strategically – Instead of avoiding shoulder pads altogether, choose them strategically. Look for styles with smaller pads or that have pads that sit lower on the shoulders.
- Opt for A-line shapes – A-line dresses and skirts create a more hourglass shape and will balance out broader shoulders.
If you’re looking for further inspiration, take a cue from celebrities with broad shoulders like Gabrielle Union and Angelina Jolie. Both women often choose outfits that flatter their broad shoulders and show off their confident style.
Another option to consider is custom clothing. A custom tailor can create pieces that are specifically tailored to your body type. This option may be more expensive than buying off-the-rack clothing, but it can be worth it for a fit that flatters.
|Wear V-neck tops
|Wear boat neck tops
|Choose A-line dresses
|Wear boxy or shapeless clothing
|Wear shoulder pads strategically
|Wear large, exaggerated shoulder pads
With a few key fashion tips and some inspiration, you can confidently rock your broad shoulders and feel your best.
Best Hairstyles for Broad Shoulders
If you have broad shoulders, you might feel a little self-conscious about them. But the truth is that many people consider broad shoulders an enviable trait. You can highlight your broad shoulders with the right hairstyle. Here are some hairstyles that will make your broad shoulders stand out in the best possible way.
- Long and Wavy: Long, loose waves can help balance out the width of your shoulders by adding extra length to your hair. Soft waves that start below your chin will give your hair movement while bringing attention to your face rather than your shoulders.
- Deep Side Parts: A deep side part can help distract from your broad shoulders by shifting the focus to your face. Use a styling product to keep your hair in place and to add volume at the crown.
- Braids: Braids are an excellent way to add interest and texture to long hair while drawing attention away from your shoulders. Try a fishtail braid or a messy updo with braids woven through.
If you have short hair, don’t worry! There are still plenty of styles that will flatter your broad shoulders.
- Short and Sleek: A pixie cut or a bob that falls just below the jawline can look amazing on someone with broad shoulders. The key is to keep your hair sleek and smooth with a shine serum or other styling product.
- Asymmetrical: An asymmetrical cut can balance out your shoulders by adding height to one side of your head. Consider a choppy, layered style with one side longer than the other.
When it comes to hairstyles for broad shoulders, it’s important to keep one thing in mind: confidence is key. If you feel good about your hair and yourself, your broad shoulders will simply be a natural part of your overall style and look amazing. So don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles until you find the one that makes you look and feel your best.
Celebrity Inspiration for Broad Shouldered People
If you have broad shoulders, you might feel self-conscious about them. But take heart, because many of the world’s most successful and famous people also have broad shoulders. Here are just a few of the celebs whose broad shoulders have helped make them famous.
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – The former wrestler turned actor has impressively broad shoulders that have helped him become one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood.
- Chris Hemsworth – As Thor in the Marvel Universe, Hemsworth’s broad shoulders are on full display, and they only add to his superhero physique.
- Serena Williams – This tennis superstar has shoulders that are as powerful as they are broad, and they’ve helped her win countless tournaments and inspire countless young athletes.
But it’s not just actors and athletes who have broad shoulders. Business leaders like Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg also have wide shoulders, which may contribute to their commanding presences in the boardroom.
So if you’re feeling down about your broad shoulders, just remember that they’re not a flaw – they’re a feature. And with some inspiration from some of the world’s most successful people, you can learn to embrace and love your broad shoulders, just the way they are.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Dressing Broad Shoulders
If you have broad shoulders, it can be a challenge to find clothing that flatters your figure. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when dressing broad shoulders:
- Wearing tops with narrow straps: Tops with thin straps can make your shoulders look even wider. Instead, opt for tops with wider straps or sleeves that balance out your shoulders.
- Choosing tops with embellishments on the shoulders: Embellishments like ruffles or shoulder pads can draw attention to your already-broad shoulders. Stick to simpler designs that complement your shape without adding bulk.
- Wearing clothes that are too tight: Tight clothing can accentuate your broad shoulders and make you look top-heavy. Choose clothes that flatter your figure and fit comfortably.
How to Flatter Broad Shoulders
If you have broad shoulders, don’t be discouraged – with the right clothing choices, you can create a balanced, proportionate look.
Some tips for flattering broad shoulders include:
- Wearing tops with a V-neckline: V-necklines draw attention downward and help balance out your shoulders.
- Choosing clothes with a defined waist: Clothes that cinch at the waist can create an hourglass figure and balance out your shoulders.
- Experimenting with different styles: Don’t be afraid to try different styles and silhouettes to find what works best for your figure.
Dressing for Your Body Type
When it comes to dressing for broad shoulders, it’s important to consider your overall body type. If you’re also curvy, for example, you might want to opt for clothing that flatters your curves while still balancing out your shoulders.
Here are some tips for dressing for different body types with broad shoulders:
|Choose clothes that add some curves, like a belted dress or a skirt with volume
|Opt for clothing that flatters your curves while still balancing out your shoulders, like a wrap dress or a top with a defined waist
|Choose clothing that balances out your hips and shoulders, like a tailored blazer or a flared skirt
Remember, the key is to find clothes that flatter your figure and make you feel confident and comfortable.
FAQs: What Shoulders Are Considered Broad?
1. How can I measure if my shoulders are broad or not?
Typically, broad shoulders are defined as those that are wider than your hips. To measure, stand straight with your arms at your sides and measure the distance between the widest parts of your shoulders.
2. Are broad shoulders always a good thing?
While some people may view broad shoulders as a positive physical trait, others may not prefer the broader look. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and style.
3. Can anyone have broad shoulders?
Yes, anyone can have broad shoulders. Genetics play a large role in determining the width of your shoulders, but exercise can also help build strength and definition.
4. Are there any fashion tips for those with broad shoulders?
If you have broad shoulders and want to create a more balanced look, try wearing v-neck or boat neck tops. Avoid high-necked tops or heavy shoulder detailing that may make your shoulders appear even wider.
5. Are there any exercises I can do to enhance my broad shoulders?
Strength training exercises such as shoulder presses, lateral raises, and push-ups can help build muscle and enhance the appearance of broad shoulders.
6. Do men and women both have broad shoulders?
Yes, both men and women can have broad shoulders. However, men may typically have broader shoulders due to the effects of testosterone on the body.
7. What celebrities have broad shoulders?
Some celebrities often associated with broad shoulders include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Chris Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johansson.
Now that you have a better understanding of what shoulders are considered broad, you can assess your own shoulder width and determine if it is a physical trait that you would like to enhance or downplay. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer, as beauty standards are subjective and personal. Thank you for reading, and we hope to see you again soon!