Are you using the Windows 10 operating system for education purposes? If yes, then you might be wondering how long does Windows 10 Education last and what happens when it expires. Well, the answer is not straightforward, and there are several factors that determine the longevity of Windows 10 Education. In this article, we will help you clear your confusion by discussing the lifespan of Windows 10 Education and what to expect when it reaches its expiration date.
As a student or educator, you rely on your computer and its performance to get your work done every day. So it’s vital to know how long your Windows 10 Education will last before it expires. Windows 10 Education is designed to provide educational institutions with the necessary tools and features to help students succeed. Still, it’s essential to recognize that it’s not a permanent solution. Unlike the Windows 10 Home or Pro version, the Education version has a specific lifespan that varies according to the way it was obtained or licensed.
So, what happens when your Windows 10 Education reaches its expiration date? Does it become obsolete, or will you still be able to use it? If you want to find out the answers to these questions, then stay tuned because we will be discussing all of this in the following sections. By the end of this article, you will have a clear understanding of Windows 10 Education’s lifespan, its expiration date, and what you need to do if it expires.
Windows 10 Education Overview
Windows 10 Education is the version of Windows 10 that is designed for educational institutions. It provides all the features of Windows 10 Pro, with additional capabilities for institutions to manage and deploy devices and apps on a large scale. Windows 10 Education has been specifically tailored to meet the needs of schools, colleges, and universities.
- One of the most significant benefits of Windows 10 Education is that it is free for educational institutions. Schools, colleges, and universities can download and install Windows 10 Education on their devices at no cost.
- Another advantage of Windows 10 Education is that it includes advanced security features, such as Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, which can help institutions protect their data and devices from cyber threats.
- Windows 10 Education also comes with features such as Windows Ink and Cortana, which can enhance the learning experience for students and teachers alike.
In terms of device management and deployment, Windows 10 Education provides institutions with tools to manage and configure devices, deploy apps and updates, and create custom device images. It also supports various deployment methods, including over-the-air updates and volume activation.
Windows 10 Education also has a long support lifecycle, which means that institutions can expect to receive security updates and bug fixes for many years after the initial release. The table below shows the support lifecycle for Windows 10 Education:
|Version||Release Date||End of Support|
|Windows 10 Education, version 1803||April 2018||November 2019|
|Windows 10 Education, version 1809||October 2018||May 2021|
|Windows 10 Education, version 1903||May 2019||December 2020|
|Windows 10 Education, version 1909||November 2019||May 2022|
|Windows 10 Education, version 2004||May 2020||December 2021|
|Windows 10 Education, version 20H2||October 2020||May 2022|
Overall, Windows 10 Education is an excellent option for educational institutions. It provides all the features of Windows 10 Pro, with additional capabilities for device and app management, security, and deployment. Moreover, with its long support lifecycle and free cost, Windows 10 Education is an excellent investment for institutions that want to provide their students and teachers with a robust and secure learning environment.
Windows 10 Education Features
Windows 10 Education is a version of Windows 10 that is specifically tailored for use in educational institutions, such as schools, colleges, and universities. It includes a range of features and tools that are designed to enhance the teaching and learning experience, while also providing a secure and reliable computing environment.
- Virtual Desktops: Windows 10 Education allows users to create multiple virtual desktops, each with its own set of applications and windows. This can be particularly useful in an educational setting, where students may need to use different applications for different classes.
- Windows Ink: This feature allows users to draw and annotate directly on their device’s screen using a digital pen or stylus. It can be a powerful tool for teachers and students, as it allows for more interactive and collaborative learning experiences.
- Windows Hello: Windows 10 Education includes support for facial recognition and biometric authentication, which can help to improve security and protect sensitive data.
In addition to these features, Windows 10 Education also includes many of the same tools and applications found in other versions of Windows 10, such as Microsoft Edge, Cortana, and the Windows Store. It also includes robust security features, including Windows Defender and BitLocker, which can help to protect against viruses, malware, and other threats.
One of the biggest benefits of Windows 10 Education is that it is designed to be a long-lasting and reliable operating system. Unlike some versions of Windows, which may require frequent updates or replacements, Windows 10 Education is designed to remain stable and supported for many years.
|Windows 10 Education Support Lifecycle||Release Date||End of Support Date|
|Version 1809||November 2018||May 2021|
|Version 1903||May 2019||December 2020|
|Version 1909||November 2019||May 2022|
|Version 2004||May 2020||December 2021|
As you can see from the table above, each version of Windows 10 Education is supported for several years after its initial release. This means that educational institutions can rely on Windows 10 Education to provide a stable and secure computing environment for their students and faculty.
Windows 10 Education System Requirements
Windows 10 Education is a popular choice for educational institutions around the world. This operating system is equipped with features specifically designed to meet the needs of schools and universities. However, to use Windows 10 Education, your system needs to meet certain requirements. Here are the details:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster processor
- RAM: 2 GB for the 32-bit version or 4 GB for the 64-bit version
- Hard disk space: 16 GB for the 32-bit version or 20 GB for the 64-bit version
These are the minimum system requirements for installing and running Windows 10 Education on your computer. It’s important to keep in mind that these requirements are the bare minimum and may not provide a satisfactory experience. For example, running Windows 10 Education on a machine with 2 GB of RAM may result in slow performance and frequent crashes.
Additionally, you should also consider the specific hardware requirements for certain features of Windows 10 Education. The following table provides more details:
|Voice control with Cortana||Microphone|
|Windows Hello face/fingerprint recognition||Specialized hardware, such as a fingerprint reader or infrared camera|
If you want to take advantage of these features, make sure your system meets the specific hardware requirements. For example, if you want to use Windows Hello face recognition, you’ll need a system equipped with a compatible camera or sensor.
Windows 10 Education Licensing
Windows 10 Education is a specialized version of Windows 10 that is designed for educational institutions, such as schools, colleges, and universities. This version of Windows 10 includes all the features and functionality of Windows 10 Pro, plus additional tools and apps that are specifically tailored for educational settings.
In terms of licensing, Windows 10 Education is licensed through Microsoft’s Volume Licensing program, which allows educational institutions to purchase large numbers of licenses at discounted prices. The specific licensing agreement can vary depending on the needs of the institution, but generally, Windows 10 Education licenses are perpetual licenses, meaning they do not expire and can be used indefinitely.
Benefits of Windows 10 Education Licensing
- Discounted pricing: As mentioned, educational institutions can receive discounted pricing on Windows 10 Education licenses when purchased through Microsoft’s Volume Licensing program. This can result in significant cost savings for schools, colleges, and universities.
- Perpetual licenses: Windows 10 Education licenses are perpetual licenses, meaning they do not expire and can be used indefinitely. This provides peace of mind for educational institutions, as they do not have to worry about license expirations or renewals.
- Centralized management: With Windows 10 Education, educational institutions can use tools such as Microsoft Intune or System Center Configuration Manager to centrally manage their devices and applications. This can streamline IT management and reduce administrative workload.
Different Licensing Options
There are several different licensing options available for purchasing Windows 10 Education licenses through Microsoft’s Volume Licensing program. These include:
- Open License
- Select Plus
- Enterprise Agreement
- Microsoft Products and Services Agreement (MPSA)
Licensing via Microsoft Imagine
Another way for students and faculty to get Windows 10 Education is through Microsoft Imagine, a program that provides software and other tools for learning and teaching. Microsoft Imagine is available to eligible students and faculty, and provides access to several Microsoft products, including Windows 10 Education. Licenses obtained through Microsoft Imagine are for educational and non-commercial use only.
|Open License||A flexible and cost-effective way to purchase licenses for small to midsize organizations.|
|Select Plus||An option for larger organizations that offers a customizable purchasing plan and discounts based on purchasing volume.|
|Enterprise Agreement||A comprehensive licensing agreement for larger organizations that offers discounts based on organization size and purchasing volume, as well as benefits such as unlimited technical support.|
|Microsoft Products and Services Agreement (MPSA)||A purchasing agreement that allows organizations to purchase licenses for multiple Microsoft products and services through a single agreement.|
Windows 10 Education End of Support
As with any software product, there is a point in time when support for it will come to an end. In regards to Windows 10 Education, Microsoft has announced that it will no longer provide support for this product as of October 14, 2025. This means that after this date, there will be no new updates or security patches released for this operating system.
- What does end of support mean for users?
- End of support means that Microsoft will no longer provide technical support for Windows 10 Education. Users will no longer be able to contact Microsoft support for help with any issues they may encounter.
- Additionally, there will be no new updates or security patches released for this product. This can leave users vulnerable to security threats and result in software compatibility issues if they continue to use it.
- What are the options for users after end of support?
- Users have two options after the end of support for Windows 10 Education. The first option is to upgrade to a newer version of Windows, such as Windows 11, which will still receive updates and technical support from Microsoft.
- The second option is to continue using Windows 10 Education, but this is not recommended as it could leave users vulnerable to security threats and software compatibility issues.
- How does end of support affect educational institutions?
- Educational institutions that are using Windows 10 Education will need to consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows before the end of support date. This will ensure that they are still receiving updates and technical support from Microsoft and that their systems are secure from security threats.
- Additionally, institutions may need to budget for the cost of upgrading their systems to a newer version of Windows and ensuring that their hardware is compatible with the new operating system.
Overall, it is important for users and educational institutions to plan ahead for the end of support for Windows 10 Education. Upgrading to a newer version of Windows will ensure that systems are up-to-date and secure from the latest security threats.
|End of Support Date||Product Name||End of Service Pack Support||End of Extended Support|
|October 14, 2025||Windows 10 Education||April 9, 2019||October 14, 2025|
Windows 10 Education Upgrade Options
Windows 10 Education is an operating system designed for academic institutions such as schools, colleges, and universities. Microsoft provides these institutions with a license for Windows 10 Education that allows them to install the software on multiple devices. The license provided to educational institutions is perpetual, meaning that once you have the license you can use it indefinitely. However, there are certain scenarios in which institutions may want to upgrade their version of Windows 10 Education. These scenarios are discussed in detail below:
- Graduating Students: When students graduate, they lose access to the academic license provided by their educational institution. In this scenario, students may want to upgrade their version of Windows 10 Education to the retail version which they can purchase from Microsoft or other authorized retailers.
- Adding New Devices: Educational institutions may purchase additional devices for their faculty or students that are not covered by the original Windows 10 Education license. In this case, institutions can purchase additional licenses for the new devices or upgrade their existing license to cover the new devices.
- Feature Update: Microsoft regularly releases new updates for Windows 10 that introduce new features and security enhancements. While institutions can continue to use the perpetual license they have for Windows 10 Education, they may want to upgrade to the latest version to take advantage of these new features.
Windows 10 Education Upgrade Paths
Upgrading to a new version of Windows 10 Education is a simple process. The upgrade can be done through the Windows Update utility or by downloading the latest version of Windows 10 Education from the Microsoft website and installing it on your device.
The following table lists the various upgrade options available to educational institutions:
|Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro||Educational institutions that need more features than Windows 10 Education can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.|
|Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise||Educational institutions that require more advanced security and management features can upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise.|
|Upgrade to the Latest Version of Windows 10 Education||Educational institutions that want to take advantage of the latest features and security enhancements can upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 Education.|
No matter which upgrade option educational institutions select, it is important to understand the licensing implications and requirements of the new version of Windows 10. Educational institutions should review the Microsoft licensing terms and conditions before upgrading their version of Windows 10 Education.
Windows 10 Education Installation Process
Installing Windows 10 Education on your device is a straightforward process, and it should take you around 30 minutes to complete, depending on your internet speed. Before you start the installation process, make sure your device meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 10 Education.
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster processor or SoC
- RAM: At least 2 GB for 64-bit or 1 GB for 32-bit
- Storage: 20 GB or more free space on your hard disk
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 800×600 screen resolution or higher
Once you meet the minimum requirements and have obtained a Windows 10 Education license, you can follow these steps to install it:
- Insert the Windows 10 Education installation DVD or USB drive into your device and reboot your system.
- Press the key that takes you to the boot menu and select the DVD or USB drive as the boot device.
- Select the language, time, and keyboard input method, and click on the Install button.
- Enter your Windows 10 Education product key and click Next.
- Accept the license terms and click Next.
- Choose between custom or upgrade installation, and select the partition where you want to install Windows 10 Education.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation process.
After the installation process is complete, you can activate Windows 10 Education using the product key you entered during the installation process. Once activated, Windows 10 Education will last as long as your device is in use. You will have access to all the features and updates that come with Windows 10.
|Backup your files||Before you install Windows 10 Education, back up all your important files and data to an external hard drive or cloud storage.|
|Disconnect devices||Disconnect all peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, and external hard drives before you start the installation process.|
|Check for updates||Make sure your device is up to date with the latest updates from Microsoft before you start the installation process.|
Windows 10 Education Troubleshooting
Windows 10 Education is a powerful operating system that is widely used in educational institutions. However, like any other software, it is prone to errors and problems that must be addressed to ensure its proper function. Here are some common Windows 10 Education troubleshooting tips:
- Update your Operating System Regularly: One of the most common reasons for errors and bugs in Windows 10 Education is outdated software. Ensure that your operating system is up to date, and check for new updates regularly.
- Run System File Checker: The System File Checker (SFC) can help you identify and fix file system errors in your Windows 10 Education operating system. To run SFC, open Command Prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow, and press Enter. This process may take some time, but it will fix most system file errors.
- Check Your Device Drivers: Another common cause of problems in Windows 10 Education is outdated or corrupt drivers. Ensure that your device drivers are up to date. You can do this by visiting the manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest driver for your device.
If you are still experiencing problems despite these solutions, you might need to carry out a clean installation of the operating system. Before carrying out this procedure, ensure that you have backed up all crucial data, as you will lose all data upon installation.
Here is a table showing some common Windows 10 Education error codes and their meanings:
|0x80070020||The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.|
|0x80070002||The system cannot find the file specified.|
|0x80070003||The system cannot find the path specified.|
|0x80070005||Access is denied.|
|0x80070070||There is not enough space on the disk.|
By understanding these error codes, you can identify the problem and take appropriate measures to rectify them. With consistent troubleshooting, you can enjoy uninterrupted access to Windows 10 Education and ensure continued productivity.
Windows 10 Education Security Features
Windows 10 Education is an operating system designed for academic institutions such as schools, colleges, and universities. It is similar to the enterprise edition in terms of features but is licensed under an academic volume licensing agreement. One of the most significant advantages of Windows 10 Education is the enhanced security features that it offers to students and faculty.
- Windows Hello: Provides biometric authentication through face and fingerprint recognition. It eliminates the requirement of a password to access the system and prevents unauthorized access.
- Device Guard: Protects the system from malware and other threats by restricting the execution of unauthorized code. It ensures that only trusted applications are allowed to run on the system.
- Windows Information Protection (WIP): Secures sensitive data by separating it from personal data. It prevents accidental sharing of data and keeps it protected from unauthorized access.
Besides, Windows 10 Education also comes with enhanced Firewalls, Bitlocker encryption, and regular updates that make the operating system more secure. By using Windows 10 Education, educational institutions can ensure that their students and faculty members work in a secure computing environment.
However, it is essential to note that the duration of the validity and support for Windows 10 Education is dependent on the version installed on your device. For instance, devices with version 1909, 1903, and 1809 will continue to receive security updates till May 2021, December 2020, and May 2021, respectively.
|Version||End of Support Date|
|1909||May 11, 2021|
|1903||December 8, 2020|
|1809||May 11, 2021|
It is crucial to update the version installed on your device timely to ensure that you continue to receive security updates and feature upgrades, making your system more secure.
Windows 10 Education User Interface
Windows 10 Education is a powerful operating system that offers an intuitive user interface for users to navigate through. The design of the interface provides an aesthetically pleasing experience that is both modern and visually appealing. One of the critical features of the Windows 10 Education interface is the Start menu, which has been upgraded from the previous version of the Windows operating system.
The Start menu in Windows 10 Education has a more interactive design that allows users to customize their experience by pinning their frequently used applications, files, and folders, making the process of accessing them more comfortable and quicker. The menu also includes a search bar that enables users to search for files and applications on their computer and the Web, making it easier to locate specific information.
- The taskbar: The taskbar is a familiar component of the Windows operating system that provides quick access to frequently used applications and functions such as the Start menu, Cortana, and the Action Center. The Windows 10 Education taskbar is customizable with new features that allow users to add or remove shortcuts, as well as change the color and transparency of the taskbar to enhance their experience.
- The Action Center: The Action Center is another critical component of the Windows 10 Education interface that contains notifications, alerts and quick actions. Users can customize the Action Center by selecting which notifications and quick actions appear in the panel, as well as changing the priority of the notifications.
- Virtual desktops: Windows 10 Education allows users to create individual virtual desktops, which is ideal for those who need to multitask or work on multiple projects simultaneously. Users can switch between virtual desktops quickly, allowing them to keep their work organized and reduce clutter on their screen.
Windows 10 Education also includes a Microsoft Edge browser, which is faster and more secure than previous versions of Internet Explorer. The browser has a streamlined interface that allows users to navigate the Web more efficiently, including features that enable annotation and sharing of content with others. The Windows 10 Education interface is optimized for touch screen devices, making it ideal for those who use 2-in-1 laptops or tablets.
|Windows 10 Education User Interface Features||Description|
|Start menu||Customizable menu for access applications and files|
|Taskbar||Quick access to frequently used applications and functions|
|Action Center||Notifications, alerts, and quick actions in a unified panel|
|Virtual desktops||Allows users to create and switch between multiple desktops|
|Microsoft Edge||Fast and secure browser with features for annotation and sharing of content|
The Windows 10 Education interface offers a modern design that is both visually appealing and intuitive, making it easy for users to navigate through. With its customizable features and support for touch screen devices, Windows 10 Education provides an excellent user experience for students, teachers and educational institutions to enhance learning outcomes and productivity.
FAQs About How Long Does Windows 10 Education Last
- What is the lifespan of Windows 10 education?
- Can I extend the duration of my Windows 10 education version?
- How often does Windows 10 education receive updates?
- Will I lose access to my software after the Windows 10 education has expired?
- Can I use Windows 10 education for commercial purposes?
- What happens after the end of life date of Windows 10 education?
- What should I do if I’m reaching the end of life date of my Windows 10 education version?
The Windows 10 education edition is a long-term support version that receives updates and support for up to 30 months after the release date.
Unfortunately, there is no option to extend the duration of your Windows 10 education version. You may need to upgrade to a newer version or purchase a license.
Windows 10 education receives regular updates every six months. These updates include bug fixes, security patches, and new features.
No, you will not lose access to your software after the Windows 10 education version has expired. However, you’ll need to update your operating system to keep it in good condition.
You cannot use the Windows 10 education edition for commercial purposes. If you need to use it for business purposes, you’ll need to buy a license for commercial use.
After the end of life date of Windows 10 education, the operating system will no longer receive security updates. It’s recommended that you upgrade to the latest version to keep your devices secure.
You should start planning to upgrade your operating system or purchase a license. You can contact Microsoft for more information on how to upgrade or purchase a license.
Thank you for taking the time to read about how long Windows 10 education lasts. We hope that this article has been informative and helpful to you. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us, and we’ll be happy to assist you. We hope you visit us soon for more information.