Football is one of the most celebrated sports in America. However, there are many questions out there regarding the game and one of the most commonly asked is – how long does a televised football game last? If you are one of those people who is interested in this query, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into this topic so that you can finally get the answer you’ve been looking for.
Watching football is not just a favorite pastime for Americans; it has become a tradition, a way of life. Millions of people tune in every year to watch the excitement, adrenaline, and passion of their favorite teams. However, when it comes to a televised football game, many people wonder how long it will last and whether they have enough time to watch it. Whether you are a die-hard fan or a casual viewer, it’s important to understand the duration of a game so you can plan your schedule accordingly. In this article, we’ll demystify the length of a football game and provide you with some interesting information about the sport.
If you are a football enthusiast, then you’ve probably wondered how long it takes to watch a televised game. Whether you’re watching at home, a sports bar, or your friend’s place, it’s important to know how much time it will take to finish the game. Many factors impact the length of a football game, such as the number of commercials, the number of penalties, and the overall pace of the match. By the end of this article, you’ll have all the information you need to make sure you don’t miss a single second of the thrilling action that takes place on the field. So, let’s get started!
Regular season NFL game length
Football games are known for their unpredictability, which is why fans love them. However, one thing that is predictable is the length of a regular season NFL game. Here’s everything you need to know about how long a football game lasts.
- A regular season NFL game consists of four 15-minute quarters.
- There are two breaks in each half for two minutes and two timeouts per team per half.
- Halftime lasts for 12 minutes.
- If the game is tied at the end of the fourth quarter, there will be an overtime period that lasts for a maximum of 10 minutes. If the game is still tied after that, it will be declared a draw.
In total, a regular season NFL game lasts for about three hours. This includes the game time itself, as well as the commercials, halftime show, replays and breaks in between plays. However, many games tend to last longer than three hours because of stoppages due to injuries, penalties, or other reasons. This is why some fans jokingly say that a football game can last forever!
College Football Game Length
College football games can vary in length depending on several factors. On average, a college football game lasts about 3 hours and 24 minutes, which includes the halftime break. However, there are several things that can affect how long a game lasts:
- The number of commercials shown during the game
- The number of penalties called
- The number of timeouts used by both teams
- The number of instant replays reviewed by officials
College football games typically have four 15-minute quarters, with a 12-minute halftime break. However, if the game goes into overtime, the length of the game will be extended until there is a winner. Overtime rules vary depending on the league, but in general, each team gets one possession to score. If each team scores the same number of points, the game will go into another round of overtime until a winner is determined.
To see some examples of how long college football games can last, here is a table of the longest college football games in history:
|Rank||Date||Teams||Length of Game|
|1||November 1, 2003||Arkansas vs. Kentucky||7 hours, 2 minutes|
|2||November 18, 2006||North Texas vs. Florida Atlantic||6 hours, 54 minutes|
|3||November 3, 2018||Western Michigan vs. Toledo||6 hours, 28 minutes|
Of course, not every college football game will last that long. Most games will fall within the 3 to 4-hour range, with occasional outliers on either end of that spectrum.
Super Bowl game length
If you’re planning on watching the Super Bowl, you might want to know how long the game lasts. While the length of a typical football game is three hours, the Super Bowl is known for being longer. There are several factors that contribute to the length of a Super Bowl game, such as the halftime show, commercial breaks, and the unpredictability of the game itself.
- In 2020, the Super Bowl lasted approximately 4 hours and 10 minutes.
- The halftime show typically lasts around 30 minutes, adding to the overall length of the game.
- Commercial breaks during the Super Bowl are notorious for being longer and more frequent than in a regular season game, often lasting around 30 seconds to a minute.
One of the main reasons the Super Bowl can last longer than a typical game is the unpredictability of the game itself. The Super Bowl is the biggest game of the year, so every play, call, and decision is crucial. This can lead to longer reviews by the officials, longer timeouts, and added pressure on the players to perform.
Despite the longer length, the Super Bowl remains one of the most-watched events in the world, drawing millions of viewers each year.
|Super Bowl||Length (hours:minutes)|
As you can see from the table above, the length of the Super Bowl can vary from year to year, but generally lasts over 4 hours. If you plan on watching the Super Bowl, make sure to set aside plenty of time and enjoy the biggest game of the year.
Halftime show time duration
The halftime show is an essential part of televised football games, and it’s no secret that the duration of halftime can vary. Factors like the time of the game, the importance of the event, and rules established by the broadcasting network all contribute to the length of the halftime show.
- The average duration of a halftime show is around 12-15 minutes. This time is usually dedicated to a performance by a popular artist or band.
- Some sporting events, like the Super Bowl, have a longer halftime show that can last up to 30 minutes or more. These halftime shows often feature multiple artists and elaborate performances that require more time for setup and execution.
- However, some games may have shorter halftime shows, especially if there is a tight schedule to maintain or if the game is considered less important. In such cases, the halftime show may only last for 10 minutes or less.
It’s important to note that the halftime show is not a break for the players. They still need to remain active and focus on their game plan during this time. Coaches use this time to make any necessary adjustments to their strategy and keep the team motivated.
|Event||Halftime show duration|
|Super Bowl||30+ minutes|
|College Football Playoff National Championship||20-25 minutes|
|Regular NFL game||12-15 minutes|
Overall, the duration of the halftime show depends on the event and other various factors. However, as a general rule of thumb, you can expect a halftime show to last between 10-30 minutes.
Advertisements during a football game
Advertisements play a significant role in the duration of a televised football game. Advertisers pay hefty sums to broadcast their ads during one of the most-watched events in the world. As a result, football games usually have several commercial breaks which have become an intrinsic part of the viewing experience.
- Commercial breaks: A standard NFL game lasts for about three hours, but it only includes sixty minutes of actual gameplay. The remaining time is spent on commercial breaks which can last up to two and a half hours depending on the game’s broadcasting network and the time of day it is broadcasted.
- Sponsorship: Teams, players, and stadiums often have advertising or sponsorship arrangements which can also add up to the total duration of a game. This includes sponsored segments, scoreboards, and player uniforms.
- Product placement: In recent times, football games have also started incorporating product placements within the gameplay. This includes the official ball, the replay equipment and more.
In summary, while an actual football game lasts for 60 minutes, its total duration can go up to almost three hours due to advertisements and commercial breaks. Companies and brands view advertising during football games as a lucrative opportunity to reach millions of viewers, which explains why they continue to invest billions of dollars in these advertising campaigns.
If you’re a football fan, it’s important to stay aware of the impact of these commercials on the game’s duration in order to better plan your viewing experience.
|Broadcast Network||Average Number of Ads per Game||Average Time of Commercials per Game (in minutes)|
The above table shows the average number of ads per game and the average time of commercials per game on each of the four major networks that broadcast football games in the US. As you can see, CBS, NBC, and FOX have almost identical numbers of ads and time of commercials per game, while ESPN has significantly fewer commercials.
Timeouts in Football Games
Timeouts are an essential component of any football game as they are used by coaches and players to stop the clock and regroup, discuss strategies, and make critical decisions that could impact the outcome of the game. Each team is given a set number of timeouts that they can use during a game. In this article, we will explore the importance of timeouts and how they affect the length of a televised football game.
- Number of timeouts: Each team is allotted three timeouts per half, totaling six timeouts per game. These timeouts can be used in any combination during the game, meaning a team could use all three timeouts in the first half or wait to use them all until the second half.
- When timeouts are used: A team can call timeout at any point during the game, but it’s most common to see them used in the fourth quarter when the game is close and time is running out. Coaches will often use timeouts to draw up plays, especially in crucial moments such as fourth and goal or to stop the clock to preserve time for their team’s final drive.
- How timeouts impact the length of a football game: When a team calls a timeout, the clock stops until play resumes, meaning it adds additional time to an already lengthy game. With six timeouts in a game, it’s possible for timeouts alone to add anywhere from 12-15 minutes to the game’s overall length.
Additionally, timeouts are not the only instances that cause the football game to last longer. Other factors such as injuries, penalties, and video reviews also contribute significantly to the game’s length.
In conclusion, timeouts are an essential tool for coaches and players to strategize and make critical decisions during football games. However, they significantly impact the game’s length and add precious moments of suspense and drama for TV viewers.
|Standard timeout||60 seconds|
|Two-minute warning||120 seconds|
|Charging team timeout with video review||120 seconds|
Knowing how timeouts work and their impact on the game’s duration provides viewers with a better understanding of the game’s pace and helps them appreciate the importance of each decision made by coaches and players during the game.
Overtime Rules for Televised Football Games
Football games that are televised often draw large audiences from all over the world. However, with so much time devoted to the game, there are circumstances where the game may extend beyond its usual timeframe. In these cases, overtime rules come into play.
- Overtime periods in televised football games are typically 10 minutes long.
- If neither team scores during the first overtime, the game will proceed to a second overtime.
- If the game is still tied after the second overtime, it is then referred to as a tie game.
In the event that the game is still tied after the end of regulation time, there are several factors that will determine which team possesses the ball at the start of the overtime.
If the game has reached overtime, the winner of the coin toss will choose whether they want to receive the ball or kick it off. The loser of the coin toss will get the remaining option.
One additional rule of overtime is that both teams must have an opportunity to possess the ball before the game can end. This means that if the team that receives the ball first in overtime scores a touchdown on their first drive, the opposing team will still have an opportunity to possess the ball.
|Team A scores a touchdown on their first possession||Game ends – Team A wins|
|Team A scores a field goal on their first possession, then Team B scores a touchdown on their first possession||Game continues – Team B gets possession|
|Team A scores a field goal on their first possession, Team B scores a field goal on their first possession, then Team A scores a touchdown on their second possession||Game ends – Team A wins|
|Both teams score field goals on their first possessions, then neither team scores on their second possessions||Game continues – next score wins|
The overtime rules for televised football games are designed to ensure that both teams have an equal chance of winning, even when the game extends beyond its normal duration. Fans of the sport can expect to see these rules come into play when games are tied at the end of regulation time.
Pre-game show duration
Before a televised football game, there is usually a pre-game show that takes place. This show is designed to give viewers some background knowledge of the teams that will be playing, as well as any other relevant information that might be useful in making informed decisions about the game. The pre-game show can vary in length depending on the network, the importance of the game, and other factors.
- The average length of a pre-game show is around 30 minutes. This is usually enough time for the announcers to cover the important highlights of the game.
- For more important games, such as playoff games or championships, the pre-game show can be much longer. It is not uncommon for these shows to last an hour or more.
- Some networks, such as ESPN, have pre-game shows that are multiple hours in length. These shows cover not only the game itself, but also news and events from around the league.
If you are a die-hard football fan, you might enjoy watching the longer pre-game shows, as they can offer some great insights into the game and the players. However, if you are just an occasional viewer, sticking to the shorter pre-game shows might be a better option.
Overall, the pre-game show is an important part of the football viewing experience. Whether you are watching live or catching up on a replay, taking the time to watch the pre-game show can help you better understand the game and its players.
If you want to watch the most important matches and don’t want to go through the trouble of searching for them, you can turn to fuboTV. These platforms offer TV schedules and special sports plans that will let you watch hundreds of live games online. Plus, you get to try the platform for free!
|Network||Pre-game show duration|
|FOX Sports||30 minutes|
|CBS Sports||30 minutes|
|NBC Sports||30 minutes|
|NFL Network||2 hours|
As you can see from the table above, different networks offer varying durations of pre-game shows. It is important to keep this in mind when deciding which network to watch the game on.
Post-game show duration
After the final whistle has been blown, the televised football game isn’t quite over yet. Most broadcasts include a post-game show that airs immediately after the game. This show serves as a summary of the highlights from the game, analysis of player performance, and discussion of the key plays that may have decided the outcome of the game. The post-game show can provide fans with a deeper understanding of what just happened and what they can expect in the next game.
- The length of the post-game show can vary depending on the network and the importance of the game. Typically, post-game shows last between 30 minutes to an hour.
- The most-watched football game of the year, the Super Bowl, has the longest post-game show- it can last up to three hours.
- During the post-game show, interviews with coaches and players are often conducted. These interviews can provide unique insights into what the team was thinking during the game and how they plan to improve in the future.
The post-game show is an essential part of the football viewing experience that offers fans an opportunity to dive deeper into the game they just watched. It can provide a platform for fans to learn more about their favorite teams and players. Additionally, the post-game show’s duration can indicate the broadcast’s value and importance to the network broadcasting it.
Below is a table of typically post-game show durations on major networks:
|Network||Post-game show duration|
|NBC Sports||60 minutes|
|Fox Sports||30-60 minutes|
|CBS Sports||30-60 minutes|
As you can see, post-game show durations can vary widely between networks. These shows are vital for fans to gain a deeper understanding of the game and are often an enjoyable way to end a football Sunday.
Planned breaks in a televised football game
Football is not only a game of physical endurance and skill, but also a game of strategy. One of the most crucial parts of the game is the planned breaks that occur throughout the game to provide moments of rest and allow coaches to adjust their strategies and players to rehydrate.
- Quarter breaks: Each quarter of the game lasts 15 minutes, with a break of 2 minutes in between. During these breaks, the teams change ends of the field, giving both teams equal amount of time playing on each half of the field.
- Half time: The half time break lasts for 15 minutes, giving the players a chance to get off the field and rejuvenate for the second half of the game. During this time, halftime shows and musical performances also occur, providing entertainment for fans watching the game from home.
- Two-minute warning: At the two-minute mark of the second and fourth quarters, there is a mandatory break for teams to regroup and plan their next moves.
- TV timeouts: In addition to the planned breaks, TV timeouts are inserted into the game to provide opportunities for advertisers to run commercials, transmit replays and analyze game strategies. These timeouts last for about a minute, but can go longer depending on the game’s status and sponsor demands.
Most football games lasts for an average time of 3 hours, however, the actual playing time is only 60 minutes. The game time is mostly occupied by the planned breaks such as quarter breaks, halftime, two-minute warning and TV timeouts.
|Time||Game Time||Break Time|
|First Quarter||15 minutes||2 minutes|
|Second Quarter||15 minutes||2 minutes|
|Half time||15 minutes||N/A|
|Third Quarter||15 minutes||2 minutes|
|Fourth Quarter||15 minutes||2 minutes|
Overall, these planned breaks play a crucial role in the game of football, providing not only strategic opportunities but also much-needed moments of rest and relaxation for the players.
FAQs About How Long Does a Televised Football Game Last
Q: How long does a football game typically last?
A: A typical football game lasts for about three hours, with four quarters of 15 minutes each. However, the actual time may vary due to stoppages, injuries, and other factors.
Q: How long is halftime during a football game?
A: Halftime during a football game is typically 12 minutes long. During this time, players can rest, coaches can make adjustments, and the marching band or other performers can take the field.
Q: Why do football games take so long?
A: Football games take a long time due to the nature of the sport. The game is divided into quarters, and there are frequent stoppages for various reasons, including incomplete passes, penalties, and injuries.
Q: Why do football games sometimes last longer than three hours?
A: Football games may last longer than three hours if there are overtime periods or if the game is delayed due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Q: How does the length of a televised football game compare to a live game?
A: The length of a televised football game is usually the same as a live game, although the television broadcast may include additional pre-game and post-game coverage.
Q: How does the length of a professional football game compare to a college game?
A: Professional football games and college football games are generally the same length, with four quarters of 15 minutes each. However, college games may include more stoppages due to the clock stopping after first downs and out-of-bounds plays.
Q: How can I find out how long a specific football game will last?
A: The scheduled start time of the game, along with the expected length of halftime, can usually be found on the game’s official website or on TV listings websites.
We hope that this article has answered your questions about how long does a televised football game last. Remember that while most games last around three hours, there may be variations due to stoppages, injuries, or other factors. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or a casual viewer, we thank you for reading and encourage you to visit again later for more informative articles on various topics.