If you’re an avid adventurer or photographer, then chances are you’re a big fan of the GoPro Hero 5. It’s a fantastic piece of technology that allows you to capture all your outdoor activities in stunning HD quality. But one of the biggest concerns that people have when using GoPro cameras is, of course, battery life.
How long does a GoPro Hero 5 battery last? Well, that’s a tricky question. On paper, the battery is rated for up to two hours of continuous use, but you need to take into account things like video resolution, frame rate, and whether you have Wi-Fi or GPS enabled. All of these factors can significantly impact your battery lifespan.
To give you a better idea of what to expect, we’ve done some testing and research of our own. In this article, we’ll be exploring the various factors that can affect battery life, as well as some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your GoPro Hero 5’s battery. Whether you’re a professional photographer or just a hobbyist, understanding how long your GoPro Hero 5 battery lasts can make all the difference in your next outdoor adventure. So let’s get started!
Battery Life of GoPro Hero 5
The GoPro Hero 5 is a popular action camera that is often used for recording outdoor activities such as extreme sports and travel adventures. One of the important aspects of the GoPro Hero 5 is its battery life, which determines how long the camera can be used for recording videos or taking photos before it needs to be recharged. The battery life of the GoPro Hero 5 can vary depending on several factors, including the resolution and frame rate that is being used, as well as the shooting conditions.
- The highest battery life that can be achieved with the GoPro Hero 5 is around 2 hours and 15 minutes when recording at 1080p resolution and 30 frames per second, without any additional features such as Wi-Fi or GPS enabled.
- When recording at the highest resolution and frame rate settings of 4K and 30 frames per second, the battery life is reduced to around 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Enabling additional features such as Wi-Fi, GPS, and voice control can also have a significant impact on the battery life, reducing it to as low as 1 hour or less depending on the shooting conditions and usage.
It is important to note that the battery life of the GoPro Hero 5 can be extended by using certain accessories and techniques. For example, using an external battery pack, switching off unnecessary features when not in use, and turning off the camera when it is not needed can all help to extend the battery life. It is also advisable to carry an extra battery or two when using the GoPro Hero 5 for extended periods of time, especially when shooting in remote locations where access to charging points may be limited.
Overall, the battery life of the GoPro Hero 5 is an important consideration when deciding whether to purchase this camera for your needs. By understanding the factors that affect battery life and adopting the right techniques and accessories, you can maximize the battery life and get the most out of your GoPro Hero 5.
|Resolution and Frame Rate||Battery Life|
|1080p at 30 fps||Approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes|
|4K at 30 fps||Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes|
|1080p at 60 fps||Approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes|
Table: Estimated battery life of GoPro Hero 5 under different resolution and frame rate settings, based on tests and user feedback.
Comparison of battery life of GoPro Hero 5 with previous GoPro models
One of the most significant improvements of the GoPro Hero 5 is its longer battery life. Compared to its predecessors, the Hero 5 has almost double the battery life, making it more efficient to use and less frustrating to charge. Here are the specifics on the comparison of battery life between GoPro Hero 5 and its predecessors:
- GoPro Hero 4 Black: The Hero 4 Black’s battery life lasted around 1 hour and 20 minutes when recording at 1080p/60fps. This was considered short by many and made the camera inconvenient for long recordings or activities that required continuous filming.
- GoPro Hero 4 Silver: The Hero 4 Silver’s battery life lasted about 1 hour and 30 minutes when shooting in 1080p/60fps. While this was slightly better than the Hero 4 Black, it was still relatively weak, causing users to carry multiple spare batteries.
- GoPro Hero Session: The Hero Session lasted around 1 hour when recording at its full 1080p/60fps. This camera had a built-in battery, so carrying multiple spare batteries was not an option, making it a nuisance for long adventures.
The Hero 5 has significantly longer battery life than its predecessors, lasting up to 2 hours of continuous recording in 1080p/60fps. With this extended battery life, the Hero 5 can now easily sustain through long activities without the need for multiple spare batteries. This is a significant game-changer, especially for extreme adventures where changing batteries is not an option.
If you look at the table below, you can see the estimated battery life for GoPro Hero 5 under various recording settings:
|Recording mode||Estimated battery life|
|1080p/30fps||2 hours and 15 minutes|
|720p/60fps||2 hours and 15 minutes|
|4K/30fps||1 hour and 15 minutes|
|2.7K/60fps||1 hour and 45 minutes|
As you can see, the Hero 5’s battery life is impressive compared to its predecessors. Its longer battery life now allows you to record longer with uninterrupted footage, making it a better option for action-packed activities and adventures.
Factors Affecting Battery Life of GoPro Hero 5
GoPro Hero 5 is a popular action camera among outdoor enthusiasts. While it offers amazing footage, battery life is one of the biggest concerns. This article will discuss the various factors that affect the battery life of GoPro Hero 5 and give tips on how to prolong it.
- Video Settings: The video settings of your camera have a significant impact on its battery life. When shooting in higher resolutions like 4K or 2.7K, your GoPro will consume more power. Lower resolutions like 1080p or 720p will help conserve battery life.
- Frame Rate: Another factor that affects battery life is the frame rate. Shooting at a higher frame rate draws more power, so if you don’t need to film in slow motion, lower the frame rate to conserve battery life.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: By default, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on in GoPro Hero 5. However, keeping them on unnecessarily will consume more battery. Turning off these features when they’re not needed will help extend battery life.
If you want to prolong the life of your GoPro Hero 5 battery, here are some additional tips:
- Carry an extra battery or a portable charger on your outdoor activities.
- Turn off the camera when you’re not using it.
- Use the Quick Capture feature instead of leaving the camera on standby mode. Quick Capture allows you to turn on your camera with a single press of a button.
- Use a memory card with a high write speed. The faster the card can write data, the less time the camera will need to process the data, and the less power it will consume.
Below is a table that shows the approximate battery life of GoPro Hero 5, depending on the video settings and Wi-Fi usage:
|Video Settings||Battery Life (no Wi-Fi)||Battery Life (Wi-Fi on)|
|4K @ 30fps||1 hour and 25 minutes||50 minutes|
|2.7K @ 60fps||1 hour and 20 minutes||45 minutes|
|1080p @ 60fps||1 hour and 30 minutes||55 minutes|
By following these simple guidelines, you can extend the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5 and capture more footage during your outdoor adventures.
GoPro Hero 5 battery drain issues
If you own a GoPro Hero 5, you probably know that the battery life is not the best. In fact, many users complain about the battery draining too fast, which can be frustrating when you want to capture important moments during your adventures. Here’s what you need to know about the GoPro Hero 5 battery drain issues:
Common reasons for battery drain
- Recording at high resolutions and frame rates
- Using Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth
- Running multiple apps simultaneously
Tips to extend battery life
It’s important to keep in mind that there are some things you can do to extend the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5. Here are some tips:
- Reduce the resolution and frame rate
- Disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use
- Close all apps that are not needed
- Use an external battery pack
Battery life comparison table
If you’re wondering how long the GoPro Hero 5 battery lasts in different scenarios, here’s a comparison table:
|Recording mode||Battery life|
|4K (30fps)||1 hour 15 minutes|
|1080p (60fps)||1 hour 45 minutes|
|720p (120fps)||2 hours 15 minutes|
Keep in mind that these are estimated battery life times and actual results may vary depending on various factors such as temperature and usage.
Charging time for GoPro Hero 5 battery
One of the most crucial aspects of using any device is the time it takes to charge. GoPro Hero 5 comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can provide up to two hours of continuous filming time.
If you want to keep using your GoPro Hero 5 for extended periods, it is essential to keep the battery charged. To help you understand how long it takes to charge the battery fully, we have outlined charging times based on the various charging methods below.
- The Hero 5 Black can be charged using the USB-C cable provided with the camera with a power source of 5V/1A. This charging method would take about two hours to charge the battery fully.
- If you want to charge your Hero 5 Black using a 5V/2A USB wall charger, it would take the camera about an hour and 45 minutes to charge fully.
- You can also use the GoPro Supercharger (sold separately) to charge your Hero 5 Black. The Supercharger is compatible with a range of GoPro devices, and it provides up to 45% faster charging rates compared to standard USB charging options. The Supercharger would take approximately an hour and a half to charge the GoPro Hero 5 Black battery fully.
It’s good to note that the charging time may vary based on factors such as battery condition, temperature, and the age of the battery. However, when using a GoPro Supercharger, it’s possible to charge the battery up to 75% faster than using a conventional USB charging method.
Proper charging of the battery is crucial as it prolongs the life of your GoPro Hero 5 battery. Avoid using non-GoPro branded chargers or cables as they can cause battery damage, overheating, and lead to other electrical problems.
|Charging method||Charging time|
|USB-C Cable with 5V/1A power source||2 hours|
|5V/2A USB wall charger||1 hour 45 minutes|
|GoPro Supercharger||1 hour 30 minutes|
By following the recommended charging time and precautions, your GoPro Hero 5 camera will serve you for a long time and capture all your adventures without any complications.
Tips to Extend the Battery Life of GoPro Hero 5
If you own a GoPro Hero 5, one of the things you may always be dealing with is trying to ensure that the battery lasts long enough to capture all the footage you need. The battery life of the GoPro Hero 5 will depend on various factors, including the video resolution you are recording at, the frame rate, whether you are using wifi and other settings. Here are some tips to help you extend the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5:
- Reduce the Screen Brightness: One of the significant culprits of battery life on your GoPro Hero 5 is the screen brightness. The brighter the screen, the more energy it will consume, and thus the shorter the battery life. Therefore, consider reducing the screen brightness to save on battery life.
- Turn off Wi-Fi: Like screen brightness, enabling Wi-Fi on your GoPro Hero 5 can consume a lot of battery life. If you are not using Wi-Fi, consider turning it off to extend battery life.
- Use QuickCapture: QuickCapture is a feature that allows you to start recording video by just pressing the shutter button. Using this instead of navigating through the menus to start recording can help save some battery life.
Conserving Battery life with the Settings of GoPro Hero 5
The following are additional tips on how to conserve the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5:
- Lower the Video Resolution: Shooting at a lower resolution like 1080p may help to reduce the battery’s drainage compared to shooting at 4k. This is because capturing high-resolution footage can consume more energy since it requires more processing power.
- Reduce Frame Rate: A lower frame rate consumes less battery life. Therefore, reducing the frame rate from 60fps to 30fps can help save battery life.
- Disable GPS: If you’re not using GPS, consider disabling it since this function can consume a lot of battery life.
- Use the App: Using a GoPro app to control the camera remotely allows you to monitor what you are filming through your smartphone, and you do not have to use the GoPro screen, which can be a huge battery saver.
- Turn the GoPro Off: This sounds obvious, but turning off the camera between shots and during breaks is a great way to extend battery life. It may not seem practical, but it’s a great way of preserving battery life, especially when filming intermittently.
Battery Life of GoPro Hero 5 by Resolution and Framerate
If you’re curious about how long the GoPro Hero 5 battery lasts, you can check out the table below for an overview of the battery life by resolution and frame rate.
|Video Resolution||Frame Rate||Battery Life|
|4k||60fps||1 hour and 10 minutes|
|4k||30fps||1 hour and 20 minutes|
|2.7k||60fps||1 hour and 25 minutes|
|2.7k||30fps||1 hour and 50 minutes|
|1080p||60fps||1 hour and 50 minutes|
|1080p||30fps||2 hours and 15 minutes|
It’s important to note that these numbers are approximate, and the battery life can vary based on settings such as available light, LCD usage, WiFi usage, and more. Nonetheless, armed with the above tips and table, you can extend your battery life and capture even more amazing footage.
How to replace and purchase a new GoPro Hero 5 battery
While the GoPro Hero 5 has a relatively long battery life compared to older models, it’s still essential to know how to replace and purchase a new battery when the need arises. Here’s what you need to know:
- GoPro Hero 5 batteries are available for purchase on the official GoPro website as well as on Amazon and other authorized retailers.
- If you’re not sure which battery you need, check the user manual or look on the back of the battery compartment where the model number is often listed.
- When purchasing a new battery, make sure it’s from a reputable source to avoid any potential safety hazards or compatibility issues.
Replacing the battery in your GoPro Hero 5 is a relatively simple process. Here are the steps:
- Make sure your GoPro is turned off and the battery compartment is open.
- Remove the old battery by gently pulling on the tab located near the bottom of the battery.
- Insert the new battery, making sure the GoPro logo on the battery is facing up.
- Close the battery compartment and power on your GoPro.
It’s important to note that while the process is simple, the battery compartment on the GoPro Hero 5 is not designed for constant opening and closing. To avoid damaging the compartment and potentially compromising the waterproofing, it’s best to minimize battery changes and opt for an extended battery pack if you need longer recording times.
|GoPro Hero 5 Battery Life||Continuous Recording Time|
|With WiFi off||1 hour, 45 minutes|
|With WiFi on||1 hour, 20 minutes|
|With WiFi on and voice control||1 hour|
Knowing how long your GoPro Hero 5 battery will last is essential when planning your recording sessions. Keeping extra batteries charged and on hand can help extend your filming time and avoid missing any important moments.
Alternatives to GoPro Hero 5 battery
When out and about on an adventure, it can be frustrating when your GoPro Hero 5 camera battery dies. Luckily, there are a few alternatives that can help extend your camera’s battery life.
- External Battery Pack: An external battery pack is a great option for those who are away from power outlets for extended periods of time. These packs can be connected to the camera via USB and can provide up to 6 hours of additional battery life.
- Battery BacPac: GoPro offers a Battery BacPac accessory that can be attached to the back of your camera. This accessory includes an additional battery and can double your camera’s battery life.
- Portable Charger: A portable charger can also be used to charge your camera’s battery on the go. These chargers are small and lightweight, making them easy to carry in your backpack or pocket.
It’s important to note that while these alternatives can help extend your camera’s battery life, they may add extra weight or bulk to your gear. It’s important to decide which option is best for your individual needs before embarking on your next adventure.
GoPro Hero 5 Battery Life
The GoPro Hero 5 camera is equipped with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that can last up to 2 hours of continuous use. However, factors such as temperature and camera settings can affect the battery life.
It’s important to keep your camera’s firmware up to date and to use power-saving features such as auto-off and quick capture to conserve battery life. Additionally, turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use can also help extend your camera’s battery life.
GoPro Hero 5 Battery Life Comparison
Here is a table comparing the GoPro Hero 5 battery life to other popular action cameras:
|GoPro Hero 5||Up to 2 hours|
|Sony Action Cam HDR-AS50||Up to 2 hours|
|Garmin VIRB Ultra 30||Up to 1.5 hours|
As seen in the table, the GoPro Hero 5 has a slightly longer battery life compared to the Sony Action Cam HDR-AS50 and the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30. However, it’s important to note that these battery lives are estimates and can vary depending on camera usage and settings.
Portable power banks compatible with GoPro Hero 5
If you’re planning to use your GoPro Hero 5 for a longer duration than its battery life allows, we highly recommend investing in a portable power bank. These small and compact devices can be a lifesaver when you’re on the go and need to recharge your GoPro. Here, we’ve listed down some of the best portable power banks that are compatible with GoPro Hero 5 – so you can keep filming for longer!
- Anker PowerCore 10000
- RAVPower Portable Charger 20000mAh
- Jackery Portable Charger Bar 6000mAh
The benefits of using a portable power bank with GoPro Hero 5
One of the most significant benefits of using a portable power bank is extending the life of your GoPro’s battery. Depending on which power bank you choose, you can get anywhere from one to six charges for your GoPro Hero 5 from a fully charged power bank. This means you can keep shooting your adventures without worrying about running out of battery.
Another benefit is that since portable power banks are usually small and lightweight, they are easy to take with you wherever you go. This makes them a perfect accessory for anyone traveling or going on outdoor adventures where access to power outlets is limited.
How to choose the right portable power bank for GoPro Hero 5
When choosing a portable power bank, make sure you get one that is compatible with the GoPro Hero 5. Look for one that has an output voltage of 5V/2.1A or higher. This is the minimum requirement for charging a GoPro. Also, consider the capacity of the power bank. The higher the capacity, the more charges you can get for your GoPro. However, a higher capacity power bank may also be more massive and bulkier, so choose one that fits your needs and preferences.
Comparison table of portable power banks
|Anker PowerCore 10000||10000mAh||5V/2.4A||$29.99|
|RAVPower Portable Charger 20000mAh||20000mAh||5V/2.4A||$39.99|
|Jackery Portable Charger Bar 6000mAh||6000mAh||5V/2.1A||$27.99|
These three power banks are our top recommendations for extending the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5. They are all compact, lightweight, and provide multiple charges for your camera. The Anker PowerCore 10000 is an excellent choice for those who need multiple device charging capabilities with two USB ports. If you’re looking for more capacity, go for RAVPower Portable Charger 20000mAh. If weight and size are a concern, the Jackery Portable Charger Bar 6000mAh may be the best option for you.
Importance of Spare Batteries for GoPro Hero 5
When it comes to capturing your adventures using a GoPro Hero 5, having spare batteries is incredibly important. Here are some reasons why:
- Extended usage: The battery life of a GoPro Hero 5 varies based on the mode in which it’s being used. However, having a spare battery ensures that you won’t miss out on capturing those important moments when your existing battery dies out.
- Continuous filming: If you’re planning on doing a long-form recording of your activity, having additional batteries ensures that you can capture uninterrupted footage. It ensures that you don’t have to stop mid-activity or miss out on capturing a unique perspective.
- Convenience: Carrying additional batteries is a lot more convenient than having to carry a charger and find an available power source mid-activity. It simplifies the process and ensures you don’t miss out on capturing the moment.
So, it’s incredibly evident that having spare batteries for your GoPro Hero 5 is beneficial. You can easily purchase additional batteries either online or at your nearest electronics store.
Here is a table outlining the expected battery life in various modes:
|Mode||Estimated Battery Life (Minutes)|
|4K30 or 4K25||60|
|2.7K60, 2.7K50, 2.7K48, 2.7K30, 2.7K25 & 2.7K24||90|
|1440p80, 1440p60, 1080p120, 1080p90, 1080p60, 1080p50 & 1080p48||120|
|720p240, 720p120 & WVGA120||120|
It’s essential to remember that these battery life estimates are based on optimal settings. You may encounter a shorter battery life than estimated due to a variety of circumstances such as cold temperature or high altitude. Nevertheless, having spare batteries on hand will ensure that you never miss out on a moment.
FAQs: How long does a GoPro Hero 5 battery last?
Q1. How long does the GoPro Hero 5 battery last on a single charge?
The GoPro Hero 5 Black battery lasts up to 2 hours on a single charge when shooting at 1080p at 30 frames per second. However, when shooting in 4K resolution, the battery lasts up to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Q2. Can the GoPro Hero 5 battery be replaced?
Yes, you can replace the battery of GoPro Hero 5. But it is important to use only a genuine GoPro battery that is compatible with your Hero 5 to ensure optimal performance.
Q3. How long does it take to fully charge the GoPro Hero 5 battery?
It takes approximately 2 hours to fully charge the GoPro Hero 5 battery using the included USB cable and charger.
Q4. Can I use an external battery pack with my GoPro Hero 5?
Yes, you can use an external battery pack to extend the life of your GoPro Hero 5 battery. But make sure your external battery pack is compatible with your GoPro Hero 5.
Q5. Will using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth drain the GoPro Hero 5 battery faster?
Yes, using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth can drain the GoPro Hero 5 battery faster than not using it. It is recommended to turn off Wi-Fi or Bluetooth when not in use to save battery life.
Q6. Can I use my GoPro Hero 5 while it is charging?
Yes, you can use your GoPro Hero 5 while it’s charging. But it can take longer for the battery to fully charge while in use.
Q7. How can I maximize the battery life of my GoPro Hero 5?
To maximize the battery life of your GoPro Hero 5, you can turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use, lower your resolution and frame rate settings, and use an external battery pack if needed.
Thanks for Reading!
We hope this article has been helpful in answering your questions about how long does a GoPro Hero 5 battery last. Remember to use a genuine GoPro battery and take precautions to conserve battery life. If you have any other questions, feel free to visit us again later.